GALs supports the youth of this community through a Spring grant cycle and a Holiday "adopt a family" program. In 2016, Gilroy Assistance League distributed a record setting $$21,000 in grant funds and $1,000 for the Holiday "Adopt a Family Program with thanks to all who so generously supported the 2016 Home and Garden Tour, "Impressions."
Since 2007, GALs has awarded $144,589 to local charities in our community, according to Chair Gina Anderson.
The 2016 GALS Grants Recipients are:
- Community Solutions: $1,000 to establish a "Fun and Feet" Project to purchase new socks and shoes for clients.
- St. Mary School: $925 to bring "Theater of All Possibilities" to the students.
- Unspoken Works: $3,000 to provide attractive packaging and personal hygiene items to children in local schools and in foster care
- Rebekah Children's Services: $4,746 to provide an outdoor learning center for the students.
- DreamPower Horsemanship: $3,000 to provide instructors for special needs campers at a summer camp experience.
- Sportsman Chef: $2,000 to provide special needs students with a Day of Fishability at Lake McAlpine.
- New Hope Community Church: $500 for a "Winter Survival Kit" for clients at the Armory.
- Gateway School: $644 for Booster Scooters for the students; and $727 for a signing time video collection.
- South Valley Middle School: $1,900 to purchase Spanish books for the Dual Immersion Program and funding to provide Art classes.
- Christopher High School, Special Ed: $739 to purchase a handicapable access work table.
- Brownell Middle School: $1,000 to beautify the school's exterior with art murals and landscaping.
- Wildlife Education and Rehabilitation: $819 to provide classroom education with wild animals to Title I schools in GUSD.
Our 2016 Holiday "adopt a family" program benefited one large family in Gilroy with 9 children (ages 2-16), giving them gifts and household items to share that would not have been possible without GALs assistance. Community Solutions made possible a donation of bikes to each of the children as well!
Some of the community groups who have benefited from our grants in the past:
- Boy Scout/Eagle Scout Project
- Brownell Junior High
- Community Solutions
- El Roble School Arts Alive Program
- Eliot School Reading Program
- Gilroy Community Youth Center
- Gilroy High Band & Color Guard
- Gilroy High Chamber Singers
- Kids Discover Arts Program
- La Isla Pacifica Women's Shelter
- Mexican American Counseling Services
- Odyssey of the Mind
- Rebekah Children's Services
- Rucker 4-H
- Rucker School Science Camp
- St. Joseph's Family Center
- St. Mary School
- The Salvation Army
- South County Preschool
- South Valley Symphony
- Special Olympics
- Suzuki Violin Program
- City of Gilroy Therapeutic Recreation Program
- Wildlife Education & Rehabilitation